Sunday, August 23, 2009

Irish spud joke

As I'm now putting potatoes into the ground, I thought I'd share a potato joke from my Irish friend, Nora, blogger at one of my favourite blogs, Extra! Extra!:

A frail old man lived alone in Northern Ireland.

His only son had been interned in Long Kesh Prison, and he didn't know anyone who would help him to dig up his garden in preparation for planting his potatoes.

He wrote his weekly letter to his son in Long Kesh, and mentioned his problem.

After a day or two he received a reply from his son saying:

"For HEAVEN'S SAKE, don't dig up the garden! That's where I buried all the GUNS!"

At 4 a.m. the next morning, a dozen heavily armed British soldiers burst into the old man's house, held him at gunpoint, and proceeded to dig up his back garden from end to end.

After several hours, they had found no guns, and clattered back out of the house again.

Next day, the old man wrote to his son telling him what had happened, and asked him what was going on.

His son wrote back and said: "Now plant your potatoes."

Categories: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker