Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22, 1954, Dylan had his bar mitzvah


1954 Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) had his bar mitzvah.
Tangled up in Jews, website by Larry Yudelson devoted to studying and collecting trivia relating to the Jewish religious/cultural odyssey of Shabtai Zisel ben Avraham v'Rachel Riva, aka Bob Dylan
In the coffee room of Powell's bookstore, three teenage boys with spiky hair and skateboards were reading Interview magazine and discussing the current music scene. The conversation turned to Robert Zimmerman, a.k.a. Bob Dylan.
Said one: "I don't get why he changed his name from Zimmerman. All the coolest guys I know are named Zimmerman."

His friend: "Yeah, when I grow up I'm gonna change my name to Zimmerman."
Gesher: A Journal of Outreach to Unaffiliated Jews, Fall 1995

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker