Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Greetings, Barack Obama and our American cousins


It looks like a great Obama Day for the USA. I'm sure a lot of Americans are overjoyed at the moment, and the world rejoices. Regardless of Obama's sometimes reactionary politics, he will be no Dubya.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0wiOHc9tI

Pete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen.

Woody Guthrie's immortal song, although he was not mentioned and Springsteen sounds like he thinks Pete Seeger wrote it.

At least they didn't leave out two of the last two verses, as US pop culture usually does (for obvious reasons).

As I was walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me

From California to the New York island
From the redwood forest, to the gulfstream waters
This land was made for you and me

I roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
While all around me a voice was sounding
Ohhh, it said, "This land was made for you and me."

And the sun came shining, as we were strolling
And the wheat fields waving, and the dust clouds rolling
As the fog was lifting, a voice was chanting
It said, "This land was made for you and me."

Chorus
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York island
From the redwood forest, to the gulfstream waters
This land was made for you and me

Was a great high wall there that tried to stop me
And a great big sign that said private property
On the other side, it didn’t say nothing
That side was made for you and me

In the city square, in the shadow of the steeple
By the Relief Office, I saw my people
As they stood there hungry, I kept asking,
"Was this land made for you and me?"

Categories: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker