Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tutti Frutti

Today according to Australian Eastern Standard Time when this item was posted
1955 Los Angeles, USA: Little Richard recorded a bowdlerised version of Tutti Frutti. What the naughty words were that he expunged, your almanackist has not been able to determine, but "all over rootie" is still in the published lyrics.

I always thought it was "I wanna rootie", but perhaps it was just me projecting. The most famous line of the song is when Richard sings "A Wop bop a lu bop ba lop bam boom!" Or something like that.

Following an Australian tour in 1957, during which (on a harbour cruise) he looked up into a Sydney sky and saw Sputnik and was troubled by it, he said he saw a vision of the apocalypse and his own damnation in a dream ...

Watch it on YouTube


Categories: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Allan Lloyd said...

Hi Pip. Wikipeddia has an interesting take on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutti_Frutti_%28song%29 that's worth reading. I remember when the record was first released (yep, I'm that old) the Boomerang Songster book of lyrics listed the words as 'Tutti Frutti, au Rutti', and while the 'au' isn't Italian, my friend Tony Portelli told me at the time that 'Rutti' translates as 'belch'. Worked for me at the time, but I like the Wiki version better.
And next, let's tackle the original words of 'Rock Around The Clock'.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

OK, Fignatz, I'm game. What are the ORIGINAL words of 'Rock Around the Clock'?

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker