Thursday, September 10, 2009

Indian summer, cold snap, phenology and cicadas

Click for more on my bioregion
In this neck of the woods, around about August 20 it gets warm and almost everyone confidently says that winter's over. I always say, "Expect colder weather around September 10". I should bet money on it.

The last two nights and mornings have been much colder, after our warm spell. It can be quite cold after the Indian summer -- I've seen frosts in Bellingen as late as September 20. Have you seen later?

This seems to pertain to Sydney as much as Bellingen, by the way. Or, so I've noticed over several decades. An Indian summer in late August, followed very often by cold -- sometimes really cold -- weather around about three weeks later.

Following recent Bellingen days with temperatures as high as 33 degrees Celsius -- well over 90 degrees F -- I'm shivering at my desk at 7:45 a.m., and my toes are froze.

By the way, I saw a cicada on September 9 -- it had just emerged from its seven-year underground bed, under my house. This is the earliest I've seen a cicada. More on Australian cicadas at October 11 in the Book of Days, October 11 being the earliest I've heard cicadas in Sydney. Observation of seasonal changes through flora and fauna is called phenology -- more on this at April 14 in the Book of Days.

Any personal knowledge, experiences and observations from readers on similar matters are always very welcome. Amateur phenology is a fascinating way to keep personal tabs on climate change.

Categories: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Allan Lloyd said...

Hi Pip. Yes it's a funny year, with two pairs of magpies around our place here on Lamb Island (http://lambisland.com) already feeding hatchlings since early August (around a month earlier than usual) and we're expecting them to fledge any day now. Our mulberries are also already fruiting way ahead of schedule.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker