Friday, April 07, 2006

Sad tale of the Witches of Warbois

Today according to Australian Eastern Standard Time when this item was posted
On this day in 1593, the entire Samuel family of Warbois, Huntingdon, England, was executed on charges of witchcraft.

It was during the reign of Elizabeth I and witch mania was rife. The most important form of evidence in many of the witch trials was attained by ‘ordeal’. These efforts included torture of the most horrific nature including hot pincers, the thumbscrew, the iron maiden, and many other such methods. These torture methods varied by region and the person carrying out the ordeal.

In Warbois, an imaginative and depressive girl named Joan Throgmorton, whose head was filled with stories of ghosts and witches, happened to pass the cottage of a physically unattractive and mentally backward old woman known as Mother Samuel ...

Tagged: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started to read the Witches of Warbois, a facinating story no doubt. But it appears I am computer illiterate. I couldn't find the rest of the story. just the opening teaser. I clicked on everything I could find that even remotly looked like it pertained, but to no avail. maby I will stumble across it while I am surfing your site. well better luck next time I guess. I'm at work anyway and shouldn't be surfing at all.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

Traveler, sorry you couldn't find that article. It's at http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/witches_of_warbois.html but you could always use our Search page http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/search.html and you'll find that works well. Cheers, Pip

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker