Thursday, April 06, 2006

JF Archibald's grave cleanup

Jules Francois Archibald (founder and editor of The Bulletin) was a vitally important part of Australian literary history. It is good to see that yesterday his grave was restored as it had fallen into disrepair after 82 years.

It's about time, as this man gave Australia so much. He reposes at Sydney's Waverley Cemetery, near Henry Lawson, Lawrence Hargrave, Mary Gilmore and many other famous Australians.

There is another fascinating tale about a grave restoration at Waverley Cemetery. It involves the grave of Henry Kendall, and the efforts of Henry Lawson's mother Louisa Lawson, 'Mother of Womanhood Suffrage', to make a fitting monument for that great poet -- but there is a twist. I tell that yarn here.

Click Archy's cropped image for a big version.

Tagged: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The details you include in your Henry Kendall 'yarn' are not accurate.

But why let facts spoil a good story.

For those that are interested in anything about us (including those famous faces), what better place to ask than, well us!

Waverley Cemetery
St Thomas Street
Bronte NSW 2024
www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/cemetery

4:55 PM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

Dear "Waverley Cemetery". I find your anonymous comment far from helpful. It's rather a snipe, and quite sarcastic. If there are errors in something I have written, you will find me delighted to be corrected. However, you don't advise what they are. I might add that I had no reply to my request several months ago for information from Waverley Cemetery. If you are an official of the cemetery, or a gravedigger or gardener, etc, it would have been helpful if you'd given your name and position. You might be an impostor for all anyone would know and I hope you are, otherwise it would reflect badly on your institution. Have I made errors? Then please enlighten me, but with civility if you don't mind.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker