Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Aussie claims torture in Kuwait



Australian man in Kuwaiti jail says Govt has failed him
"An Australian citizen facing terrorism charges and accusations in Kuwait has accused the Australian Government of abandoning him to his fate because he's an Arab and a Muslim.

"Thirty-year-old Sydney man Talaal Adri was arrested by Kuwait's security forces three months ago as part of a crackdown on Islamist militants. His family claims that while he's been held in custody he's been tortured ...

"Indeed, Talaal Adri's family believes he's been abandoned by Australia, because he's received no consular assistance since his arrest. After two months in jail, Talaal Adri even wrote to Australia's ambassador to Kuwait, expressing his anger at what he perceives to be official indifference to his plight.

"I will be exonerated and will confront you before the law when you will be asked about your failure to assist me"
" His letter states in part:

"I am surprised, very surprised as to the embassy's position in relation to my matter, knowing that I was severely beaten and abused.

"All I want to say is that I am an Australian citizen, but I did not receive any assistance at all from the Australian embassy towards me or towards my family or my children who were born in Australia.

"I am absolutely sure that I will be exonerated and will confront you before the law when you will be asked about your failure to assist me. You have shown nothing but racism because I am an Arab and a Muslim."
Source

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker