Monday, May 16, 2005

Concert for George


At last I've seen Concert for George (2003), the Royal Albert Hall tribute gig for the great George Harrison.

It's so good, so moving I can't begin to say. The big occasional piece written by Ravi Shankar was superb and brought tears to my eyes. I don't think that was because the sitar player was Ravi's daughter, Anoushka Shankar, my wife-to-be.

I expected Paul McCartney, Ringo, Billy Preston, God, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty et al to perform, but was pleasantly surprised by a funny, classic set (including Lumberjack Song) by Monty Python. It was also good to see Dhani Harrison, George's lookalike son.

Natch, I've finally got Concert for George in Cafe Diem!, the Almanac's store. If you love George but don't want to buy it, try to borrow the concert like I did. (Thanks and a shuffle of the Savoy Truffle to Baz 'My Sweet Lord' le Tuff.)

www.concertforgeorge.com

PS What was George's favourite album of all time? Dhani says it was Mandolin Ecstasy, recorded by a child prodigy from Madras called U Srinivas at the age of 13.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think the dvd is excellent... try being in the audience that night.

Best concert ever attended... don't think I'll ever top that one.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker