Thursday, February 19, 2004

*Ø* Blogmanac | Home sweet home

I moved to Repton (near the mouth of the Bellinger River, NSW, Australia) in December. This photo shows the environs. This is my place and this is the fishpond. The pond has a guardian, an Eastern water dragon (Physignathus lesueurii) named Leonard, rather like the one pictured. Leonard is about 50 cm long, I think, but they do grow bigger and while fishing on the river I've been startled to find several behind my back, one of them looking twice as big as Leonard. I've learned today that the males can grow to about one metre and females about 60 cm. I'm able to hand-feed Leonard, which I only do occasionally, and she comes even as far as up the stairs and to my back door for tucker. I think this superb creature seems as intelligent as a mammal, but it's hard to tell.

Leonard has had at least one baby, which is now about the size of a little garden skink and growing. We have a non-venomous snake by the pond sometimes and I'm hoping that it doesn't eat the Leonardette.

I've set up a webcam for the birdlife here and as soon as the birds start coming to the feeder, I'll post the link. I'd actually like to have Leonardcam but can't just yet afford the extra cord required to get it downstairs. That's a goal, though.

It's 33 degrees (90 Fahrenheit) and damn humid. Good weather for Leonards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker