Sunday, August 24, 2003

*Ø* Blogmanac | An awesome night sky

I hope everyone's enjoying the night sky at present as much as I am, with no moon, and that you're not one of the hundreds of millions of people in the world who are now unable to see the Milky Way. Industrialisation has brought many benefits, but a big chunk of the human soul has been robbed from many of us by the inability to see the true night sky as it really is – a blaze of stars with the huge, milky band of our galaxy running through it. The one that has been seen by our ancestors since humanity began. Bright cities have only been a blight on humanity for a few decades.

If you and any kids in your life don't see something like this tonight, then you're really being robbed – and remember, this ain't no dress rehearsal.

I don't usually go outside at night much in winter to watch the sky, but tonight, with no moon or clouds, it was great. I live on a beach and I lay on my back away from the two street lights in my street and the light of my own house. I'm one of the lucky ones who lives away from city lights and tonight I saw, for the first time in my life, three satellites simultaneously in the same part of the sky, two of them travelling parallel and close. If anyone can tell me what that was all about, that would be great.

And I watched Mars. For the last month and for the next, the really good thing to be seeing is Mars as it nears its closest approach to us in nearly 60,000 years, the closest being this coming Wednesday. Here in Oz we get a good view as it's travelling directly overhead. For a few weeks it has been absolutely awesome.

Even if where you live has no Milky Way, don't miss out on Mars right now as I'm pretty sure you can see that anywhere. And if you've forgotten what the night sky does for the soul, and how toxic cities are for all that's valuable in life, I recommend making a big move to a new place. Life's too short for bad coffee.

All the latest on Mars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker