Monday, May 12, 2003

These times: seizing the truth of optimism
A strange near-silence has fallen over the world since the close of the 'hot' part of the Iraq war. No, I don't mean that there aren't as many news stories, or websites or TV shows, nor that there's not as much spam hitting our inboxes or as many frantic duties in our daily lives. What I'm referrring to is a palpable air of people withdrawing. I think that many in the antiwar movement are quiet now, regrouping perhaps, licking wounds, certainly. But it's not just the peaceniks.

Have you noticed? It's a quiet time. People are not sending as many emails, or messages generally on the Net (expect the damnspammers). It's a time in which I can imagine that many people in the West are renting more videos, eating more popcorn and chocolate, spending more time around the house, maybe in the garden. Maybe reading more novels. Going to the gym more to work out, perhaps a bit less to meet people. More solitude. More pensiveness and self-reflectivity. A lot of watching and waiting -- maybe for a terrorist attack. perhaps for long hoped for signs of true leadership and honesty in our elected representatives. I can't help but think that except for the most committed and fanatical supporters of the New World Order, even those who don't see themselves as part of any paradigm shift or movement might be harbouring secret doubts about what has gone down in the past 18 months.

It's a time for thought; war does that. We saw the blood running in the streets, even in the media who wanted the war so much to occur. As one who receives hundreds of emails and visits dozens of websites each day, I think I sense a new mood, a slow mood like cold molasses. yet I think it's time for hope, as a big crack appeared in the facade of the status quo, and there is a gut feeling abroad that the plasterers we got were not the right crew to call in. Do you sense anything like this?

This Almanac is committed to the new, just as those who have done so much damage to human aspirations are committed to the old. My view is that there are those who will not look at the new moon out of a pathological respect for the old. This blog, and the Almy as a whole, are looking at the moon that is now waxing as I write, getting brighter each evening as it has since before we crawled out of the primordial slime. Please, pull me up if I look back at the dark.

There's a lot to be done, and we haven't scratched the surface yet. Joyous optimism -- not ostrich-like, but wise as the serpent -- is fresh in me and a great many people I know, who see these times as pregnant with great possibilities. Nothing -- not even the recent setbacks -- can dissuade me from that. I'm having so much fun blogging these thoughts and sharing them with the small number of people who will read them. Numbers are nice, but few/better is more important. If I may be allowed a cliche: you can count the pips in an apple, but you can't count the apples in a pip. I commend that statement not only to all the Pips in the world, but to you and each of the very welcome guests to this humble Blogmanac.

Carpe diem! It's all we've got, apart from our imaginations.

Bright blessings to all, especially those who feel hurt, let down and confused by the harshness on this planet. The moon is waxing greater, and always will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker