Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Divine twins

Gidday, thrillseekers. I've been busy with a zillion things, including a few days away from the Bellingen home of Wilson and the Almy, in the Big Smoke - Sydney Town. I'm ba-ack with all the Almanac's daily stuff, such as new ideas and new pages at Wilson's Almanac dot com, the Facebook page (Pip Wilson) and the Blogmanac. I'm grateful for the comments here (unless you hate the Almy), and I'll read them in coming days very soonI'll be busy having my sister come to stay with me and Christmas Day (Krisee Day), my housemate.

Plenty of interesting material in the Almanac about October 25, including the fascinating saints Crispin and Crispian, and how moderns derived the practise of 'giving the finger', or 'flipping the bird'. Or, so it is said. Back tomorrow. Or, so I intend. I try never to say 'I shall' any more'. Life is particularly uncertain for all of us today. It sure han't been certain for me - but I'm still alive after being so badly beaten up on August 6 last year, and nearly murdered three times (that I know of) in two years in Bellingen, the town I've loved since 1965. But all is well with me, as you'll know if you read About Pip.

I'm the uncle of twin blokes, like these two today. Maybe mine are not quite divine, but excellent young men. Like all heredity, twinship fascinates me.

Seeya manana, bananas. Bright blessings. Pip

PS Hang with the new Almanac material, like the Blogmanac, will you please? I'm still half blind from the attack by "at least two carloads" of thugs, which I learned from a former neighbour living miles away, who I tracked down myself - police in Bellingen and Coffs Harbour, despite their promises, and my attempts, are still refusing to speak to me, while telling the lawyers who I engaged to get me some Victims of Crime compensation, "We are still investigating". I first contacted them on December 19, 2010, to thank them for their efforst, share information, and wish them a merry Christmas. I make many errors with my typing because of my very poor eyesight, And I'm trying to remember how I used to do things like the Blogmanac. But I'm getting the hang of it. One step at a time, like when physiotherapists taught me how to walk again last year.  

Adidas, flamingos. Pip


More divine twins
The Greeks called today the Day of the Dioscuri. In Greek mythology the twin brothers Castor and Pollux were called the  Dioscuri by the Greeks (and the Gemini by the Romans). Castor and Pollux, or Polydeuces, are sometimes both mortal, sometimes both divine. One consistent point is that if only one of them is immortal, it is Polydeuces. They were the twin sons of Leda and the brothers of Helen of Troy and Clytemnestra. Castor was renowned as a horseman, and Pollus was a famed boxer. The Dioscuri were worshipped as the protectors of travellers. The  Spartans, in particular, worshipped the Dioscuri and carried their images into battle. Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of Rome, are related archetypically to the Dioscuri and the cobbler saints, as are Amphion and Zethus of Thebes the Asvins of Vedic mythology.

The constellation Gemini is said to represent these twins, and its brightest stars Castor and Pollux (Alpha and Beta Geminorum) are named for them ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker