Friday, April 17, 2009

Positively Misguided: The Myths & Mistakes of the Positive Thinking Movement

Beware of New Age gurus.

Positive thinking obviously has its benefits, and so do affirmations. But, as Anthony Robbins perspicaciously once said, no amount of 'affirming': "My garden has no weeds, my garden has no weeds", is a substitute for getting on your hands and knees and pulling out the weeds. Robbins also quoted from an old Arabian proverb, which apparently says, "Have faith, but don't forget to tie up your camels".


I commend the following article:

Positively Misguided: The Myths & Mistakes of the Positive Thinking Movement

"The 'zero limits' subculture argues that anything is possible through the sheer and single-minded application of will. Lampooning the idea, management consultant Payson Hall writes: 'The other day I broke a 12" x 12" x 1" pine board with my bare hand after listening to a 90-minute motivational talk about breaking barriers to achieve goals. [But] the inspirational message, "you can do whatever you are committed to,’ troubled me ... I suspect the session facilitator would have agreed, particularly if I had produced a 12" x 12" x 1" steel plate.'

"Then again, common sense never deterred a PMA guru intent on making his point. Nor did good taste."
Source: eSkeptic

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker