Sunday, February 08, 2009

Mary Queen of Scots executed by Elizabeth I

Today according to Australian Eastern Standard Time when this item was posted
1587 At Fotheringay Castle, Mary, Queen of Scots was beheaded on the orders of her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I of England.

The following song is about Mary Hamilton, one of Queen Mary's maids.

'The Four Marys' (traditional)

Yestreen (last night) there were four Marys
Tonight there'll be but three
There was Mary Seaton and Mary Beaton
And Mary Carmichael and me.

Oh, often have I dressed my Queen
And put on her braw silk gown
But all the thanks I've got tonight
Is to be hanged in Edinburgh Town.

Full often have I dressed my Queen
Put gold upon her hair
But I have got for my reward
The gallows to be my share.

Oh, little did my mother know
The day she cradled me
The land I was to travel in
The death I was to dee.

Oh, happy, happy is the maid
That's born of beauty free
Oh, it was my rosy, dimpled cheeks
That's been the devil to me.

They'll tie a kerchief around my eyes
That I may not see to dee
And they'll never tell my father or mother
But that I'm across the sea.

Tune (The Corries version)

Categories: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker