Monday, January 12, 2009

A breakfast never to be forgotten

Click for more on my bioregion


I was honoured recently to have an excellent artist, Hog Fish, at my place and we had a wonderful Summer Solstice breakfast with him and his delightful partner, Frankie. Also 8 Ball Aitken and Bird Jensen. That's Fish at right (with two of his brass figurines), and 8 Ball at left. Bird, 8 Ball's partner, promoter and manager, largely created the great breakfast but is not in this shot (she was camera shy, which is cool because I am too and most people are).

Thanks, Bird! That's me and my gorgeous Misty in the centre. I prefer great breakfasts to great lunches and dinners (just ask Baz le Tuff), and this one was a beaut. Pardon my inhumility, but it was a special solstice for me.

A few days later, when I was away from home, Fish left a wonderful painting at my door. It is entitled, 'Just After Meeting Pip Wilson'. That's it here: my crummy photography doesn't come anywhere near doing justice to this huge psychedelic/abstract painting with bits of iridescence and gold. It's a masterwork for which I'm extremely touched and grateful. I'm hanging it as the centrepiece of my living room. Click the photo to embiggen.


Fish's art may be seen in this gallery of several pages, so check it out and please support this remarkably gifted and generous man. Fish comes from the underground Zap Comix scene of the late 1960s and 1970s and his work includes painting Janis Joplin's Porsche in psychedelic design, as well as collaboration with such great geniuses as Robert Crumb, Rick Griffin, Victor Moscoso and the other Zap artists, all heroes of mine since about 1970. He worked on the design of the Batmobile for the movie, and the Grinch movie sets.

Thank you, Fish and all breakfastees! You made my day, my week, and my year. And to Frankie -- thank you for being such a wonderful and interesting guest. Greetings, 8 Ball and Bird -- what a great breakfast we had for the solstice. It's wonderful to make new friends of such quality and good-heartedness.

Categories: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker