Monday, July 24, 2006

Beirut bombing 'violates humanitarian law'

"United Nations (UN) relief coordinator Jan Egeland says the extent of the destruction in the southern suburbs of the Lebanese capital amounts to a violation of humanitarian law.

"Mr Egeland has been touring the bombed-out area of Beirut that has been targeted by Israel as a stronghold of militant group Hezbollah, which is based in Lebanon and supported by Iran and Syria.

"He says it is horrific, with block after block of houses destroyed.

"'It's bigger, it's more extensive than I even could imagine,' he said."
ABC

Electronic Lebanon, a project from the Electronic Intifada, offers commentary, analysis, human rights and development information, and voices from on the ground.


Tagged: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Barton said...

What an interesting and multifarious site you have -- looking for info on Christine Keeler led me here , I didn't find it but am happy to see all the work you have done.

But Jan Egeland? I don't want him on my side in a world war. Not Dennis Kucinich either. Both fine fellows, I'm sure, and they have the right to their points, but those kind of guys will get us killed.

Thanks to Australia, America's greatest ally. As an American taxpayer I am happy to be sending my earnings to kill our enemies in Iraq.

All the best with your site, I know I am going to enjoy looking around (and I'll not bother you by leaving politically contrary comments scattered about -- we know where we each stand),

-- Steve Barton, Dunwoody, Georgia

3:45 PM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

Thanks for the comment, Steve. I'm not sure that you had too many enemies in Iraq until your government destabilised the country, leading to well over 100,000 deaths, a nation in ruins and now a monthly death rate of 6,000 people. Illegally invading a sovereign nation for no reason anyone can divine, is not a great way to make friends, especially when the casualties are mostly innocent civilians. We might hope Australia is not on the USA hit list. But I guess we'll have to disagree.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

I must add that I'm chilled to the bone to hear anyone use the words "happy" and "kill" in the same sentence. As you say, we do stand in different places, and both know it.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker