Sunday, June 18, 2006

Paul McCartney turns 64 today



When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a Valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'till quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older, too. Aaah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you.

I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, sunday mornings, go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage in the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear.
We shall scrimp and save.
Grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck, and Dave.

Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view.
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away.
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty four?

[The image above, used in Fair Use, was published about 35 years ago in a book of Beatles artwork. It was an artist's representation of what the Beatles might look like when they were 64.]

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now,
Will you still be sending me ..."

'Course I will, dear.

The artist didn't really come close, did he?

8:28 AM  
Blogger Pip Wilson said...

No, and neither did the lyricist.

"On 17 May 2006, McCartney and his wife Heather announced they are to separate, citing constant media attention as detrimental to a harmonious relationship." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed. And the same Heather has been roasted in the UK tabloids ever since. Who'd want to be famous? Freedom of the press is essential, but it's often abused.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker