Tuesday, April 04, 2006

SpywareQuake removal

A nasty trojan called SpywareQuake (aka Spyware Quake) jumped into Esmeralda the Computer so I naturally googled Remove SpywareQuake. It apparently doesn't damage your machine, it pops up fake spyware alerts, and urges you to click and buy their supposed anti-spyware software. I couldn't get rid of it with my favourite tools, Avast, Spybot or Adaware.

I looked for info in Google Groups Search too, and there were some ads for SpywareQuake removal tools. Lots of people are being bugged by this bug.

Mostly the solutions involved rather complex procedures; alternatively several involved downloading fixes. I downloaded Spyware Doctor ("free scan") which is promised to remove this particular trojan -- I discovered that "free scan" means what it says. It scans, tells you what problems you have, and doesn't charge a cent. Then you discover that there is a $29.95 fee for removal. The Net is Scam City.

I wasted two precious hours. I was just about ready to try one of the complex manual-removal solutions, which are probably trustworthy. Then I thought, "I'll just try System Restore, and set my system back to April 2. Wallah! SpywareQuake is gone. After 12 hours, so far so good.

Long terms of imprisonment for spammers, hackers and their ilk. Let's hope they catch these gangsters.

Tagged: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker