Sunday, September 25, 2005

Houston: Downtown homeless forgotten again

"One segment of the downtown population was out in force. The homeless were on street corners and in parking lots. I stopped to speak with several. One man in a wheelchair named Brian seemed dazed and confused. I asked him what his plan was for the storm, and he asked if I knew of a store where he could purchase cigarettes. I said I didn't, but I was worried about his safety. He pointed to a semi-enclosed parking structure and said he'd stay in there, or perhaps under a bus stop canopy. I expressed doubt as to the safety of these places, and he asked me for a cigarette. As we were talking a sheriff's office van drove by, but didn't stop when I tried to flag it down to assist the disoriented Brian ...

"Passing the HPD downtown station I stopped to speak with some officers milling around outside. Both told me that the homeless 'know where to go' when storms hit, or cold weather comes to Houston. I asked why the Star of Hope was closed and the officers told me that people have to think of their own safety first. I asked if they were going to make any kind of effort to help out those who hadn't found a safe space to brave the 60+ mile an hour winds and driving rain, but they said there was no effort to this end underway at this time ..."
Houston Indymedia

Tagged: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker