Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Can you pick up pens from the floor with your feet?

A number of years ago a British family I know told me how, when they immigrated to Australia, they were stunned and amused the first time they saw someone pick something (such as a pen) up off the floor with their foot.

Coming from a cold climate, and thus having spent much of their lives with their feet tightly shod in hard leather, they themselves lacked the normal "pedal dexterity" as one might call it, to perform such a ... feat. I had never realised that this innate human function, commonly exercised in Australia, could be lost to whole nations, or so it seems. Do millions or billions of people lack this basic ability? Can Australians living in cold climates, such as Tasmania, pick up pens with their tootsies? Conversely, do north Queenslanders eat and write with their clodhoppers? Are people more right-footed than left-footed? Sydney has a left-handers' shop, but why no store for left-footers?

I was pondering these curious questions this morning and I'm wondering how widespread the inability to pick up small objects with the foot is, and I'm certainly curious to know more. Is there any research? Can you pick things up with your feet? Where were you raised, or where do you live? While I have little confidence in gaining feedback through Comments (I know many people are blog-comments averse, unfortunately for bloggers), it would be very fascinating to hear your perspectives.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Teeerevor said...

I have quit dexterous toes, no I can't paint with them, but I think it stems from my extreme laziness (hmm I could bend down and pick that up or I could just use my feet). I think that is another reason why Aussies are good with there feet.

I am from the Central Coast in NSW and like you just assumed every one could do this, wow, although saying that the Poms can't doesn’t surprise me, they are hopeless.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always just assumed anyone could do it if they were so inclined. It's not something I really think about. If I've dropped something and don't feel like bending down to pick it up, I use my toes.
I haven't yet tried painting, writing or eating with my feet though... something about it just doesn't do it for me.

I was raised in Picton before moving to the 'big city' so for me it wasn't really a question of climate as it was of laziness I guess.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker