Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Pinocchio Watch
"Iraq attack not solution": UNSCOM head warned

On this day, two years ago


… I believe that there is a very real prospect now that the United States of America will attack Iraq without the approval of the UN Security Council. That is contrary to international law, it should not happen, and I believe the consequences of such an action could be possibly catastrophic. I also finally believe that war is almost certain not to be the solution to any of the problems that are posed by Saddam Hussein, and they are real problems. The smaller reason, not so small for we Australians, is, I don't know how to put this as simply as possible.... Let me just say that I'm sick to death of the lies that we're being told about this by the Prime Minister of Australia. I heard him again this morning on a national television interview, and it was shocking …
International law is important here, and we mustn't commit the terrible mistake and folly in our pursuit of a criminal, by ourselves breaking the law. Because then it brings the whole system into disrepute and that is what I fear we face if the Americans go it alone here. We will trash 50 years of post World War II international law and replace it with the rule that might is right, and that's what we've been trying to get away from.

Richard Butler, former director of UN weapons inspection in Iraq (UNSCOM), recorded on the day he marched in the anti-war rally in Sydney, Australia, February 15, 2003 [emphasis added]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker