Sunday, March 07, 2004

*Ø* Blogmanac | Clean Up Oz

The 15th annual Clean Up Australia Day has attracted its largest ever number of volunteers across the nation, with 677,000 people out of 20 million population giving up time today to collect rubbish. I hope I remember next year. Clean slipped my mind. I suppose I could still find some junk by the road as it's full moon.

Anyway, good on Ian Kiernan AO who started it and runs this thing each year.

And full marks to a good bloke, Premier Bob Carr who has used the Clean-Up Australia Day lead-up to announce he is prepared to take the lead in banning plastic shopping bags. An average of half a million shopping bags are collected during Clean Up Australia each year, but that's a drop in the (polluted) ocean when you consider that Ozzies use 7 billion checkout bags a year. Mea culpa on that one too, though I reuse most of them as bin liners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker