Tuesday, January 27, 2004

*Ø* Blogmanac | Muslim refusenik

This looks pretty interesting. I was doing some weeding and pool cleaning for Baz le Tuff today and he told me about the Muslim Refusenik website by Irshad Manji. She's a lesbian feminist Muslim whose books are causing quite a stir. Booklist's review of her new book said:

Uganda-born Manji fled with her Muslim family of South Asian extraction to Canada when she was two. Growing up there, she was affected as much by North American as by Muslim social conventions, and she became a woman with a career (in broadcasting) and an out lesbian. She remains Muslim, though "hanging on by my fingernails." She questions the sexism, anti-intellectualism, moral superiority and evasion, anti-Semitism, and Arab chauvinism she sees in Islam's public face.

I've put The Trouble With Islam in the Almanac's Cafe Diem store (it's discounted by 30% although only released on January 14).

Thanks Monsieur le Tuff for putting me onto this site and book. BTW, I slept for two hours after doing your garden. Of course, I was almanacking till nearly dawn before I went there. Those yellowing palms need a feed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker