Monday, September 01, 2003

*Ø* Blogmanac | Baghdad burning – still

Chaos

“[Iraq] is not a country in chaos and Baghdad is not a city in chaos.”
Paul Bremer

"Where is this guy living? Is he even in the same time zone??? I’m incredulous … maybe he's from some alternate universe where shooting, looting, tanks, rape, abductions, and assassinations aren’t considered chaos, but it’s chaos in *my* world.

"Ever since the occupation there have been 400 females abducted in Baghdad alone and that is only the number of recorded abductions. Most families don’t go to the Americans to tell about an abduction because they know it’s useless. The male members of the family take it upon themselves to search for the abducted female and get revenge if they find the abductors. What else is there to do? I know if I were abducted I’d much rather my family organize themselves and look for me personally than go to the CPA.

"By BBC’s accounts there are 70 cars a day being hijacked in Baghdad alone …"

From Baghdad Burning, a blog by a young woman who lives there. It's one of my favourite weblogs, so it's permalinked in the right-hand column of the Blogmanac.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker