Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Changes a-comin' to the Almanac
Someone once said something to me that stuck in my skull: "No one on the Internet knows what they're doing. It's the Wild West out there, and everyone's making it up as they go along."

I find this to be very true. Big corporations sink millions into an online presence and are forced to back out. Amazon.com takes years before it posts a profit quarter. Even the experts don't know what to do, because there has never been a Net before.

I've sometimes found myself very much in that paradigm and have had to make radical changes in what I do with the Almanac, when new technology changes the ballgame, or (((blush))), when I get a bright idea. At the end of 2002, I announced the January 1, 2003 launch of the AAAlmanac (the Aiders and Abetters edition) and I've brought it out daily since then. The AAA is the premium edition, available either by paying me a dollar a week, or by arranging a 'Trust Swap'.

I thought it would be a solution to the critical issue of income. To produce a good Almy, and its associated Scriptorium, requires many hours work each day (whether it shows or not). There's research, writing, editing, illustrating, administration, answering emails, promotion, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, as much as I love doing the AAA, I've sold fewer than a dozen subscriptions, so I can't keep it up. Even if I quadrupled the subs next half-year, it would still leave me in the dilemma of having to work 15-hour days, 365 days a year, and live in poverty, which I have done for ages (trust me, after the fourth year, the glamour wears off) but no longer can -- simplicity yes, penury no! (Fret nyet, I'm not bitter or miserable.) Quite obviously, I'll have to get some kind of job. Consequently, I'm not taking any more subscriptions for the AAA, and after all the subs expire on June 30, the AAA will be no more unless some other solution comes up. I'm hunting for income and hope to get some kind of work, but will do my utmost to honour the existing subscriptions.

My intention is to continue to publish the regular, daily edition of Wilson's Almanac, which I love doing as much as AAA, and which takes me considerably less time. I expect my daily workload will decrease by up to eight hours a day. Of course, I am open to ideas and suggestions, but I think we can safely assume that the premium edition est mort.

I would like to remind my dear readers that the motto of the regular Almanac is "If need be, read free" and I still request that the Almanac still be seen as an exchange of something for something. I have always thought this to be a fair deal, as those who do not wish, or cannot afford, to participate in such a swap, are at liberty not to do so. Anyway, I'm excited by the possibilities blogging seems to afford, so ... bright blessings, abundance and gratitude, Happy Beltane, and .... on with the Almanac!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker