Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 28 is a day to consider Serendipity, one of my favourite words

Serendipity
See also: fortune, luck
1754 English politician and writer, Horace Walpole (1717 - '97), in a letter to Sir Horatio Mann, explained how he coined the word 'serendipity'. He said that he based it on the title of a fairy story, The Three Princes of Serendip, because the princes "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of". 'Serendip' is the Persian name for Sri Lanka.
One of my favourite shops in my home town of Bellingen is called Serendipity. Not only does the word fascinate me for various other reasons, like my son Remy's mother coming from Sri Lanka, I find some great cheap stuff at that shop, because it is like a bargain centre, with excellent inexpensive, new goods from all around the world. Damn! I should ask Bronwyn to pay for that 'free' ad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker