1816 On this day, the road was completed to Mrs Macquarie's Chair on Sydney Harbour. It was named for the wife of Major-General Lachlan Macquarie (1762 - 1824), Governor of New South Wales from 1810 to 1821; the name applies to a carved seat in the rocks, and often also to Mrs Macquarie's Point, the peninsula on which it was carved; both are commonly and mistakenly referred to as 'Lady Macquarie's Chair'. This photograph of Mrs Macquarie's Chair shows the date June 13, 1816 carved on the sandstone.
Folklore has it that Elizabeth Macquarie
Elizabeth Henrietta Campbell, 1778 - 1835) used to sit on the rock and watch for ships from England sailing into Port Jackson (now usually known as Sydney Harbour) ...
Categories: sydney, australia, history, biography, folklore