Thursday, October 29, 2009

We are not Americans

Mother Earth News, a long-established and highly respected journal in print and online, and one of my favourites, is one of countless publications with vast international paying readerships, that nonetheless speak to their readers as though they were Americans.

For example, Reeve O'Neill writes: "Winter, although it can be harsh at times, especially in certain parts of the country ..." (Source) Which country, Mama -- Syria? Nigeria? Guatemala? The Maldives? US citizens constitute 5 per cent of the population of the world. Please take note of the other 95 per cent, Mother and other American magazines, websites and ezines. For more than 30 years, Mama, you've happily received my money at Australian newsstands, all the while calling me an American, and this is the first time I've pulled you up on it.

Categories: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Pollynkorect said...

Sigh. Must we Americans ALWAYS be mindful of our international audience? Does the rest of the world expect the rest of the world to speak as if the entire planet were hanging onto every word they write?? Americans, are, after all, just Americans! We are not Australians, Africans or Chinese. We are quite parochial; even, believe it or not, the "enlightened" liberals in our midst, such as the authors of Mother Earth News.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Pip said...

If a magazine or website purports to be international, and enjoys the financial benefits of an international readership, then, yes, it should be mindful, and not address its readership as though they were Americans.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker