Sunday, January 01, 2006

United States of America, please

All through Wikipedia, the United States of America is referred to as "the United States", or "the US". While I can see some justification for this, I don't accept it as the naming of the nation. I have thus lodged an objection at the United States Discussion Page (my Wikipedia handle is Alpheus):

"I strongly object to this naming convention. All throughout Wikipedia, in countless instances, the United States of America is called 'the United States', or just 'US'. It is, as far as I can tell, an Americocentric term perpetuated with a fair degree of unjustifiable chauvinistic pride. I am doubtless of a minority view, but I wish Wikipedians from the USA would step outside their national mindset and help create a new Wikipedia standard for the naming of this country, which is, after all, and although the most powerful, one of just 190 or more nation states in the world. Australia, after all, is not called in Wikipedia 'The Commonwealth', although its full name is 'The Commonwealth of Australia'. Is it a case of 'might is right' in Wikipedia as elsewhere?"

Tagged: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker