Monday, October 24, 2005

Dutch Schultz's last words





I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn’t worth a nickle to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless. I am going to turn it over to ... Turn your back to me please, Henry. I am so sick now. The police are getting many complaints. Look out. Yey, Jack; hello, Jack. Jack, mamma. I want that G-note. Look out, for Jimmie Valentine, for he is an old pal of mine. Come on, Jim, come on, Jimmie; oh, thanks. OK. OK. I am all through; I can’t do another thing. Hymie, won’t you do what I ask you this once? Look out! Mamma, mamma! Look out for her. You can’t beat him. Police, Mamma! Helen, mother, please take me out. Come on, Rosie. OK. Hymes would not do it; not him. I will settle ... the indictment. Come on, Max, open the soap duckets. Frankie, please come here. Open that door, Dumpey’s door. It is so much, Abe, that ... with the brewery. Come on. Hey, Jimmie! The Chimney Sweeps. Talk to the Sword. Shut up, you got a big mouth! please come help me up, Henny. Max come over here ... French Canadian bean soup ... I want to pay, let them leave me alone ...


1935 The death of American gangster Arthur Flegenheimer aka Dutch Schultz (b. 1902). What did he say?

Dutch Schultz was a New York City-area gangster of the 1920s and '30s. Born into a Jewish family in the Bronx, he made his fortune in bootlegging illegal alcohol and in the numbers racket in Harlem.

He was shot on the night of October 23, 1935, in the men's toilet of his hideaway, a Newark diner called The Palace Chophouse, by Charles Workman (aka 'Charlie the Bug'), Emmanuel Weiss, and a third, unidentified man known to this day only by his alias "Piggy'.

Schultz's famous last words, influenced by a high fever and large quantities of morphine, were a delirious stream of consciousness babble. They were taken down by a police stenographer, and have since been used in literature by a number of writers, most notably William S Burroughs (The Last Words of Dutch Schultz), Robert Anton Wilson and EL Doctorow (Billy Bathgate) ...

Categories: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dutch Schultz N° 1 = "The King of New York"

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker