Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Shabtai Zisel ben Avraham v'Rachel Riva, aka Bob Dylan



1941 Bob Dylan (Robert Allen Zimmerman) American folk-rock musician.

Nat Hentoff: What made you decide to go the rock 'n' roll route?
Bob Dylan: Carelessness. I lost my one true love. I start drinking. The first thing I know, I'm in a card game. Then I'm in a crap game. I wake up in a pool hall. Then this big Mexican lady drags me off the table, takes me to Philadelphia. She leaves me alone in her house, and it burns down. I wind up in Phoenix. I get a job as a Chinaman. I start working in a dime store, and move in with a 13-year old girl. Then this big Mexican lady from Philadelphia comes in and burns down the house. I go to Dallas. I get a job as a "before" in a Charles Atlas "before and after" ad. I move in with a delivery boy who can cook fantastic chili and hot dogs. Then this 13-year old girl from Phoenix comes and burns the house down. The delivery boy, he ain't so mild. He gives her the knife, and the next thing you know I'm in Omaha. It's so cold there, by this time I am robbin' my own bicycles and frying my own fish. I stumble into some luck and get a job as a carburettor out at the hot-rod races every Thursday night. I move in with a High School teacher who does a little plumbing on the side, who ain't much to look at, but who's built a special kind of refrigerator that can turn newspaper into lettuce. Everything's going good until that delivery boy shows up and tries to knife me. Needless to say, he burned the house down, and I hit the road. The first guy who picked me up asked me if I wanted to be a star. After what I'd been through, how could I refuse?
Hentoff: And that’s how you became a rock n' roll singer?
Dylan: No, that's how I got tuberculosis.
Some interview somewhere some time ago

Picture: Bob Dylan cover of Oz magazine (check out the covers), by Martin Sharp


Dylan corn (the audiences love it)
At one gig, Dylan apologized, saying that “I almost didn't make it tonight ... had a flat tire. There was a fork in the road.”

At Western Connecticut State University in 1997, when he introduced Bucky Baxter he said, “When I first met Bucky, he didn't have a penny to his name. I told him to get another name.”

February 13, 1999, in Normal, Illinois (Illinois State University campus): “They said I'd never make it to Normal.”

At a concert’s end he said he had to “get a hammer and hit the sack”.

Late show, Park West, 2002 (?): Bob introduced Kemper by saying: “David Kemper on drums. David grew up on a farm and on Saturday nights he used to take the cows to the moooooovies.”

“Nice to be here. One of my early girlfriends was from Milwaukee. She was an artist. She gave me the brush-off.”

(Referring to David Kemper on drums): “One of David's first jobs was here in Chicago. He had a job as a waiter but he never took any tips. He was a dumb waiter.”

“Larry almost wrote a song today. He wrote a song about his bed, but it hasn't been made up yet.”

“Charlie went to see his cousin today at the Hamilton County Jail. He brought him a cell phone ... He almost made it to the show.”

“My ex-wife left me again. She's a tennis player. Love means nothing to her.”

“This is a love song. We love to play it.”

“David Kemper on the drums. David's turning 21 tonight. David never lies unless he's in bed.”

“David [Kemper] and I drove here tonight in a car singing songs on the way. We were singing cartoons.”

“David swallowed a roll of film today. We’ll see what develops.”

“Dave is the only drummer that tried to make a slow horse fast, but he stopped feeding him.”

“David was going to be a doctor but he didn't have any patients.”

Oklahoma City: “Dave must have thought he was playing golf today because he wore two shirts, in case he gets a hole in one.”

“Tony was here once before. He got a bicycle for his wife. Tony said it was a pretty good trade.”

“Larry hurt his foot today, we had to call a toe truck.”

When Bob shared the bill with Joni Mitchell in Chicago, 1999, he introduced Make You Feel My Love by saying, “This is a song I wrote for Garth Brooks. Regrets, I've had a few ... but then again, too few too mention.”

A club show at Park West in Chicago, late 1999. Among the crowd along the stage was someone writing notes. Dylan, in great spirits all night, finally grinned down at the fan and asked: “You writing a check for me?”

Minneapolis : “David Kemper on drums, ladies and gentlemen … David and I were in the Pickled Parrot this afternoon and David asked the waitress if they served crabs ...She said 'Buddy, we'll serve just about anybody.'”


Mostly from here and lots more in Book of Days at foot of today's page.

The event that ushered in a new music genre, folk-rock
From the famous July 25, 1965 concert when Dylan played electric guitar in public for the first time, singing 'Maggie’s Farm' at the Newport Folk Festival. But did the crowd really boo Dylan? Click to hear the mp3

This is just a snippet of today's stories. Read all about today in folklore, historical oddities, inspiration and alternatives, with many more links, at the Wilson's Almanac Book of Days, every day. Click today's date (or your birthday).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker