Wednesday, September 29, 2004

*Ø* Some reading

Just some gleanings from the Web. Paul Berman's slate.com article on Che Guevara, entitled The Cult of Che, has a rational approach to the adulation of the Stalinist mass murderer, something not easily found in reading anywhere.

Can anything good come out of New Zealand apart from a jet plane? Well, it seems so (not forgetting that Karl Popper taught philosophy there). Arts & Letters Daily is something I wish I had discovered long ago. It gets 100,000 hits a month, so others have already found it. The brains behind it is Dennis Dutton, North Hollywood-raised philosophy professor from Christchurch [NZ] University. Dutton's article, Mythologies of Tribal Art, inter alia, rips to shreds a postmodern analysis of the picture shown here, of a Melanesian girl with a necklace of 1950s flash-camera bulbs. Dutton writes well and wittily, and anyone with a bead lined up on pomos is tops in my book.

Dutton's LA Times review of Lord of the Rings says what I said about the movie, only Dutton says it much better. If I recall correctly, all I said was it's a piece of boring shite that put both my 12-year-old son and me to sleep in the cinema. Wish I could write reviews.

Another Slate article, this time on the late/not late Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. It's called 'Dead like her: How Elisabeth Kubler-Ross went around the bend'. Kubler-Ross's theories have been long discredited, or at least glanced at askance, but Ron Rosenbaum adds some piquant observations and information, such a curious titbit about a shonky 'healer' who hung around the Great Woman's institution, shtooping some of the devotees in darkened rooms while assuring them he was channelling dead relatives. Funny!

What I'm reading offline is Stephen Jay Gould's 1996 book, Life's Grandeur (published as Full House in Gould's native USA). Gould is the only palaeontologist I've read, and he's a very engaging writer. Engaging? Did I say that? Where's my gun? I smell a pomo. Next I'll be saying he 'unpacks' common fallacies about evolution ('the ladder of evolution' is no ladder at all). If I say 'unpack', shoot me now. I think my aporia is showing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker