Wednesday, August 25, 2004

*Ø* Poor man's PR

Mindful of the fact that, just as a crazy rich man is eccentric but a crazy poor man is a nutter, a rich man has PR and a poor man has shameless self-promotion, your almanackist is pleased to report we have passed the mark of three quarters of the Book of Days.

That is, 276 days out of the 366 days are done online – more than 2,130,000 words of folklore, calendar customs, alternative history and oddities.

With your support, which is very welcome, we'll continue to go round the whole Wheel of the Year. I invite readers to see how our system of support operates.

I'm always delighted when members write, and I enjoy replying. Susan, an Almaniac from California who formerly unsubscribed to Wilson's Almanac ezine but has now returned, wrote this week:

"Pip, I enjoy your ezine very much. It is so much fun and educational!! I quit you for a while – 9/11 and your anti-Bush opinions – but I have changed my mind about the whole thing now – a lot of Americans have."
That was such a nice email to receive and it warmed my heart.

Way back on August 2, 2002 in the Almanac, were the words:

"The government of my country, Australia, and several others apparently, are planning an invasion of Iraq ... Wilson's Almanac will oppose this war ..."

You can read the whole statement in the Yahoo! Groups archives, message number 650.

At that time there was almost no discussion of an invasion, and certainly little opposition. Many people at the time thought my words were crazy, and on that day began a mass exit from the Almanac ezine's subscriber base that now seems to be reversing. We have continued with what we believed then to be right and honourable.

To those who stayed, or left and returned, and to all who have just surfed in, a big thanks. There would be no Almy without you. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker