Thursday, July 01, 2004

*Ø* Buckley bows out: "I was wrong on Iraq"

"If I knew then what I know now ... I would have opposed the war"

"William F Buckley Jnr, one of the leading spokesmen of American conservatism of the past 50 years, is stepping down from the magazine that has acted as the torch-carrier for his political ideas.

"'The question is choose some point to quit or die onstage and there would not be any point in that,' he told the New York Times. 'Thought was given and plans were made to proceed with divestiture' ...

"'With the benefit of hindsight, Saddam Hussein was not the kind of extra-territorial menace that was assumed by the administration one year ago,' he said. 'If I knew then what I know now ... I would have opposed the war.'"
Source: The Independent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker