Monday, March 22, 2004

*Ø* Blogmanac | Does al Qaeda claim 9-11 responsibility?

If not, why not?

In my piece on March 15 (below) 'Is something rotten in the state of Spain?', I wrote:

"Let's not forget that bin Laden said that although he was pleased that the WTC was destroyed, he condemned the killing of its occupants, and emphatically stated that his organisation didn't do it."

I had a feeling I'd be asked for a citation. In fact, Nora asked for it, and here 'tis, the USA Department of Defense site, DefenseLink News, ten days after 9-11.

I thought I'd post this publicly for the record. It raises the questions I raised on March 15:

"Does it strike anyone else as peculiar that Al Qaeda would: claim responsibility for its bombings in the 1990s (as terrorist groups tend to do); then clearly and repeatedly deny having executed the 9-11 events; and now claim responsibility for the Spanish tragedy and point out that the Spanish bombings commemorated the 2-and-a-half-year anniversary of 9-11?"

Claims an inside job
Osama bin Laden is on record as telling the Karachi daily newspaper, Ummat:

"Neither I nor my organisation Al-Qaida is involved in the attacks and the US has traced the attackers within America.

"The attackers could be anybody, people who are part of the American system yet rebel against it, or some group that wants to make this century a century of confrontation between Islam and Christianity," he said.

Referring to evidence obtained by American intelligence, bin Laden said: "Ask this question to these intelligence agencies that get billions of dollars every year."

Ummat quotes bin Laden as saying: "We are against the American system but not the American people. Islam does not allow killing of innocent people, men, women and children even in the event of war."

Source: Ananova

More sources

As far as I know, and if I'm mistaken on this please tell me, the bombings admitted to by Al Qaeda in the 1990s were against embassies. While this is to be deplored, the targets might arguably be more military targets than the WTC, and so fit bin Laden's alleged opposition to killing innocent people. I admit I'm still hazy about Al Qaeda's pre-9-11 activities and the extent to which they have claimed responsibility for anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker