Monday, August 11, 2003

*Ø* Blogmanac August 11. 1894 | Kelley's Hoboes

USA: Federal troops drove some 1,200 protesting jobless workers from the nation's capital across the Potomac River. Led by an unemployed activist, Charles ‘Hobo’ Kelley, the motley group came from western states and camped in Washington DC beginning in early July. The ‘soldiers’ in Kelley's Hobo Army included a young journalist named Jack London (1876-1916) and labour leader William ‘Big Bill’ Haywood (1869-1928). Coxey's Army, another group of unemployed men, also marched on Washington at around the same time.


I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze
than it should be stifled by dryrot.
I would rather be a superb meteor,
every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

Jack London

Restored San Antonio home of Jack London 'in good hands' – San Francisco Chronicle: Aug 9, 2003

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker