Saturday, May 24, 2003

*Ø* Blogmanac | May 24 | Bob Dylan's 62nd birthday
For Dylan's birthday I present here a poem in tribute. It ain't no Idiot Wind or Brownsville Girl, but I'm no genius and it's the best I could do (and at least I've never rhymed 'Angelina' with 'subpoena'):



Plagiarism is the sincerest form of theft
Copyright* Pip Wilson 2003

(Tune: Visions of Johanna by Bob Dylan)

Nursie's trying to be in Saturday while the dentist he's slipping with his mouth tool
I watch the ventilator and declare I'll never go back to my old school.
But I sit here seeming all the while dissolving old and inventing new rules.
Out the window the storm can be seen
on the treetops amber movies are screened
the black of the clouds favours green
if it hails we will hear children scream
or maybe write a song about this time
and a thought that has vanished
from a disappeared mind.

If I can dare to strip you down of a little concrete that doesn't make you feel well
you can dare to see me daring to be bare in front of everybody's detail
and I don't have to be ashamed to strip myself into Bobby's mind or to strip his mind into myself.
Because even when the dentist whines a lament
and the storm's at the monastery's gate
he still whispers songs like a dove to a saint
even though neither of us I'm sure knows what to repent
but that could be the reason, that we're both torn from past days
and a thought that has vanished,
takes a lot to repay.

You can try to build on nothing to catch up with the kings of the movies,
they have tried, they have succeeded, they have left us drowning in their beauty.
But I swear on their anthologies they had a lot of breakfast duties in between their cuties.
If you wonder why I steal from his verse
it's not stealing, it's a kind of a curse
if I'm just a borrowed tonsil to a nurse
surely to be a borrowed teacher is no worse
I guess I've been taking lessons since we met
and 'cause thoughts often vanish
he will be around a while yet.

* Ø * Ø * Ø *


Hentoff: What made you decide to go the rock n' roll route?

Dylan: Carelessness. I lost my one true love. I start drinking. The first thing I know, I'm in a card game. Then I'm in a crap game. I wake up in a pool hall. Then this big Mexican lady drags me off the table, takes me to Philadelphia. She leaves me alone in her house, and it burns down. I wind up in Phoenix. I get a job as a Chinaman. I start working in a dime store, and move in with a 13-year old girl. Then this big Mexican lady from Philadelphia comes in and burns down the house. I go to Dallas. I get a job as a "before" in a Charles Atlas "before and after" ad. I move in with a delivery boy who can cook fantastic chili and hot dogs. Then this 13-year old girl from Phoenix comes and burns the house down. The delivery boy, he ain't so mild. He gives her the knife, and the next thing you know I'm in Omaha. It's so cold there, by this time I am robbin' my own bicycles and frying my own fish. I stumble into some luck and get a job as a carburettor out at the hot-rod races every Thursday night. I move in with a High School teacher who does a little plumbing on the side, who ain't much to look at, but who's built a special kind of refrigerator that can turn newspaper into lettuce. Everything's going good until that delivery boy shows up and tries to knife me. Needless to say, he burned the house down, and I hit the road. The first guy who picked me up asked me if I wanted to be a star. After what I'd been through, how could I refuse?

Hentoff: And that’s how you became a rock n' roll singer?

Dylan: No, that's how I got tuberculosis.

[Some interview somewhere some time ago.]

* Ø * Ø * Ø *


Tangled up in Jews
Wikipedia: Bob Dylan
Lots of Dylan links
Scorsese to film Bob Dylan biography
You know you're a Dylan fan if ... Part One Part Two
Dylan midi
Big Dylan links page

* Ø * Ø * Ø *


*Ø* Wilson’s Almanac | May 24 | Corny Bob Dylan
Birthday boy Bob Dylan (May 24, 1941) is known more for his genius with words and tunes, and for deadpan (once, asked by a journalist how many children he had, he said “Some”) than as a comedian.

However, he also has a fondness for silly wisecracks and is known among fans as a real joker at gigs. Sometimes he’s corny, but his cornball jokes are loved by the audience. Here are a few of his quips, and if you have any more, I’m collecting them.

At one gig, Dylan apologized, saying that “I almost didn't make it tonight ... had a flat tire. There was a fork in the road.”

“I was born on the hill over there. Glad to see it's still there. My first girlfriend came from here. She was so conceited I used to call her Mimi.”

February 13, 1999, in Normal, Illinois (Illinois State University campus): “They said I'd never make it to Normal."

At a concert in Tucson, Arizona, he introduced the backup singers as “My ex-wife, my next wife, my girlfriend, and my fiancée”.

At a concert’s end he said he had to “get a hammer and hit the sack”.

Late show, Park West, 2002 (?): Bob introduced Kemper by saying: “David Kemper on drums. David grew up on a farm and on Saturday nights he used to take the cows to the moooooovies.”

“Nice to be here. One of my early girlfriends was from Milwaukee. She was an artist. She gave me the brush-off.”

(Referring to David Kemper on drums): “One of David's first jobs was here in Chicago. He had a job as a waiter but he never took any tips. He was a dumb waiter.”

“Charlie went to see his cousin today at the Hamilton County Jail. He brought him a cell phone ... He almost made it to the show.”

“My ex-wife left me again. She's a tennis player. Love means nothing to her.”

“David [Kemper] and I drove here tonight in a car singing songs on the way. We were singing cartoons.”

“David swallowed a roll of film today. We’ll see what develops.”

“David was going to be a doctor but he didn't have any patients.”

“Tony was here once before. He got a bicycle for his wife. Tony said it was a pretty good trade.”

“Larry hurt his foot today, we had to call a toe truck.”

Veteran guitarist Sexton, he proclaimed, is “the meanest man in the band. When we played the Middle East, Charlie killed the Dead Sea.”

Minneapolis : “David Kemper on drums, ladies and gentlemen … David and I were in the Pickled Parrot this afternoon and David asked the waitress if they served crabs ... She said "Buddy, we'll serve just about anybody.”

“You might be wondering what's written on [David Kemper’s] shoes; those are foot notes.”

* Ø * Ø * Ø *


*Ø* Wilson’s Almanac | May 24 | Feast day of Hermes Trismegistus, ancient Greece
Hermes is the patron of alchemy and also god of boundaries, guardian of graves and patron of shepherds, patron of thieves and bringer of good fortune. He carried the kerykeion (caduceus), a magical herald’s staff with two snakes twined around it. He is the Greek equivalent of Roman mythology’s Mercury. Apollo gave him the caduceus.

Hermes, the Caduceus and DNA
Hermes carried the caduceus when he flew through the air on his messages and adventures. The medical profession took this emblem, which is a staff with two snakes twining around it, as their symbol, recognised internationally.

When the scientists Watson and Crick discovered DNA 50 years ago, it was observed that like the snakes around the staff, the form of the DNA model is a double helix. Could it just be coincidence, or perhaps some snippet of genetic knowledge, hidden deep within the collective unconscious, emerged in the tales of the ancients and in the logo choice of the medical profession.

* Ø * Ø * Ø *


The Sixties were like a flying saucer. Everybody talks about it, but nobody saw it.
Bob Dylan

Dylan quotes
More Dylan quotes
And then some Dylan quotes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker